1st Area starting at $1200*
Liposuction is one of the most significant cosmetic procedures to hit the cosmetic surgery industry. It can help to shed those unwanted pounds and help you achieve the appearance of your dreams. Liposuction or lipoplasty (liposculpture), as it is more commonly known, is a form of cosmetic surgery that helps to slim and reshape specific areas of your body. The end result of liposculpture is that it can improve your body contour and proportion – thus, enhancing your self-image.
This can be a tremendous relief to anyone who has disproportionate body fat distribution, despite regularly maintaining a healthy lifestyle or a reasonable level of fitness. In fact, there are many very healthy individuals that have disproportionate body contours due to localized fat deposits even though they’re highly fit. This can usually be traced back to heredity rather than a lack of fitness. For individuals who fall into this category, sometimes lipoplasty is the only reliable route to achieving a proportionate figure.
Types of Liposuction Procedures
- Tumescent Liposuction – Tumescent liposuction has been one of the biggest advances in body contouring in the last 20 years. The benefit of this form of lipo procedure is that it does not require excessive incisions and it only requires local anesthesia.
- Laser Liposuction – There are also other emerging technologies in body contouring such as laser liposuction, also known as smart liposuction or simply smart lipo.
- Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction – Ultrasonic liposuction is a lipo technique that uses high energy sound waves to liquefy unwanted body fat, so that it is easier to suction out of the body.
Although laser and ultrasound liposuction have some advantages, no technique has been proven to be better than traditional tumescent liposuction.
There are also other body contouring procedures that can be used to achieve the perfect contour. They often use special sculpting tools such as internal razor to create a well-defined area in the abdominal wall. Additionally, it should be noted that liposuction techniques can be applied to both men and women.
How is Liposuction Done?
Depending on the type of liposuction procedure that you’re considering, the first step is usually always the same – a visit to a liposuction surgeon or clinic. And while it usually depends on the amount of fat being removed, more often than not, liposuction is performed as an outpatient surgery. However, if large amounts of fats have to be removed, the procedure may be done at the hospital and could require an overnight stay.
Like many other hospital procedures, liposuction patients are often given an anesthetic prior to surgery. Depending on the amount of fat that must be removed, the patient will either be given local or general anesthesia. With general anesthesia, the patient will sleep during the entire operation.
After the anesthesia has taken effect, the doctor or surgeon will make small cuts and insert the suction tube inside the cut to remove the excess fat using a suction pump.
Are You a Good Fit for Liposuction?
Now that you have a general idea of the liposuction process, the next thing that you want to ask yourself is whether liposuction is for you. Here are some factors to consider when asking yourself this question. Most liposuction doctors suggest that a good fit for liposuction is someone who meets the following criteria.
- That you are of average or slightly above average weight
- That you are in good health
- That you have firm and elastic skin
- That you have concentrated pockets of fat that doesn’t respond well to diet and exercise.
In closing, liposuction can be a life changing procedure and is capable of greatly improving your quality of life. Nonetheless, as with any surgery it is always a good idea to have realistic expectations before you go into a cosmetic surgery procedure.
If you would like learn more about liposuction and schedule a consultation, call Dr. Lewis Friedlander at the Image Cosmetic Center at 404-949-0049 or click here to contact us. We’re located in Atlanta, GA near Sandy Springs and Buckhead.
* Disclaimer: Prices may increase for unusually large or complicated areas. Standard prices do not apply to face, arms, or breasts.
Liposuction Procedures performed at our center in Atlanta, Georgia